Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tough Break

I haven't typed with one hand since I was a thirteen year old trying to figure out what a/s/l stood for, but here I am again. This past Saturday I was on my way to the Austin gun show (the biggest in Texas!), yet fate had a different plan that didn't involve trying to find a decently priced SKS. Just before my exit, I rear-ended a car that changed lanes a little too swiftly. My truck is a little banged up and I walked away with a broken arm. The other driver and his passenger were thankfully unhurt but came away with a ticket and liability for the accident. Unfortunately, I cannot type efficiently or quickly with a cast, which means I'll be incommunicado on this blog until my arm is once again unfettered. In the meantime, I suggest keeping up with the Joneses of the milblogging community. Any link found on the left sidebar should do the trick. Feel free to browse my archives, check out my photo album or follow me on Facebook while I'm out of commission. Thanks for stopping by.

Your humbly gimp wordsmith,

Alex

Edit 9/25/2009 5:PM - Welcome Michael Yon Twitter followers. I should take the time to update my current condition. My left arm (the dominant one) suffered direct trauma referred to as a nightstick fracture, "named because of the injury that results when attempting to block the downward blow of a nightstick with the raised forearm." My x-ray looked much like this:



My arm was put into an infantry blue cast yesterday. The doctor estimated it will be on for five weeks at least. The cast almost reaches my shoulder and is very obtrusive. As for my financial status, I'll be paid lost wages by the liable insurance company plus a small settlement.

Typing with my less dominant hand will take getting used to, but my speed and accuracy are greatly diminished. Homework will not be as fun as it was before the accident. Rest assured, though, by November I should be back to full strength, less one atrophied arm.

17 comments:

LL said...

Get better soon!

Hardtack said...

Glad you came out alright, and sorry to hear about the accident. I take it you didn't make the gunshow?

Followed your suggestion on facebook, and I found the site, and asked to be admitted.

Get well, and look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Unknown said...

Delicious Irony Dept.: The largest gun show in Texas takes place in the most liberal city in Texas. Hippies with guns, no where else but Texas!

Dad

Alex Horton said...

Hardtack,

I wish I could have gone, but I had to beat the afternoon ER rush.

Dad,

The monthly gun show seems to attract more Austin-area denizens than Austinites. A lot more pickups than Subarus.

Tom Goering said...

Glad to hear you are relatively unscathed. Get the arm better soon, or learn to type with your toes :)

Chris Norton said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now, worry to hear about your accident. I hope you get better quickly.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Well, going to a gun show is good. I was able to go to one in Austin whilst we were doing some useless training at Ft Hood...great gun show. I asked"What does it take to buy a gun here?...I'm from California..."

The standard answer:"Do you have any money?"

I was able to buy a 10.5 inch barreled upper for my M4 so I had a very handy weapon to point out of my Humvee...very handy.
It's easier for a good citizen to buy a gun in TX than it is for a cop to be able to buy one in CA.

Lisa said...

I hope you heal quickly!

Anonymous said...

As someone who once broke their writing arm's wrist twice in three months, I feel your pain!

LOL at the word verification being "gicare"!!

Pattie Matheson said...

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to know the damage was no worse. Do you have VA care for that sort of thing or do you have to rely on civilian insurance? Sure would be a drag if that ER visit had to come out of pocket.

Doubt I'd recognize Austin these days, but we sure did love it when we were stationed at Ft Hood. Fond memories....

We have a huge gun show in Tucson too. Wonder if thats something all largish cities do these days/

Nows your chance to catch up on some of the reading you've wanted to do -- take care.
~P~

Steve: The Lightning Man said...

I wish I'd bought that SKS when I had the chance....the little gun shop outside Fort Riley used to sell 'em for like $115.00, with a couple extra mags, a bayonet, and a chest bandolier.

Hope the wing heals fine. Glad you're okay.

Josh Martell said...

why does you getting into an accident and breaking your arm not surprise me? Get well soon buddy!

Alex Horton said...

Sorry Josh, that old, bad driving Alex is dead! The other driver was at fault, and I even took measures to minimize the damage by crashing corner to corner instead of head-on. I crashed like a pro! No ticket for me either.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the bad news, Get well and Godspeed Alex

Long-time RN said...

Ouch. Heal quickly, Alex.

Arli said...

What a bummer, especially for a writer! Glad the injuries weren't worse. Get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Send me an email re: your SKS wants and needs. doc540@yahoo.com